30% of our Visits are Mobile, But We're Not Ready! Two Simple Ways We Worked Around the Problem

May 19, 2021 (edited May 20, 2021)VIVO 2021 Conference SubmissionReaders: Everyone
  • Keywords: UI/UX Design, Web Analytics, User Engagement
  • TL;DR: Our users use smartphones. Our RIS platform doesn't handle it. We developed two simple workarounds.
  • Abstract: The University of California, San Francisco has operated the UCSF Profiles RIS platform (https://profiles.ucsf.edu/) for over a decade. In that time, the share of mobile visits has grown from 3% to 30%. Unfortunately, our platform, Profiles RNS, was designed solely for desktop users, so mobile users would typically get a substandard experience. We will discuss two real-world strategies we used to work around this problem: • Google AMP pages, to improve user experience for 70% of our mobile users • Jury-rigging responsive design, to try to support the remaining 30% of our mobile users This session will demonstrate some of the real-world tradeoffs involved in managing a mature RIS product. It should be helpful not only for users of Profiles RNS, but all RIS platforms that fail to adequately serve mobile users.
1 Reply

Loading