- Keywords: density estimation, communication constraints, nonparametric inference, distributed algorithms
- TL;DR: We prove (nearly) optimal minimax bounds for nonparametric density estimation under communication (bandwidth) constraints.
- Abstract: We consider density estimation for Besov spaces when the estimator is restricted to use only a limited number of bits about each sample. We provide a noninteractive adaptive estimator which exploits the sparsity of wavelet bases, along with a simulate-and-infer technique from parametric estimation under communication constraints. We show that our estimator is nearly rate-optimal by deriving minmax lower bounds that hold even when interactive protocols are allowed. Interestingly, while our wavelet-based estimator is almost rate-optimal for Sobolev spaces as well, it is unclear whether the standard Fourier basis, which arise naturally for those spaces, can be used to achieve the same performance.
- Supplementary Material: pdf
- Code Of Conduct: I certify that all co-authors of this work have read and commit to adhering to the NeurIPS Statement on Ethics, Fairness, Inclusivity, and Code of Conduct.