- Keywords: Text to Animation, NLP
- TL;DR: We generate animations from screenplays by extracting information using NLP and linguistic techniques.
- Abstract: Automatically generating animation from natural language text finds application in a number of areas e.g. movie script writing, instructional videos, and public safety. However, translating natural language text into animation is a challenging task. Existing text-to-animation systems can handle only very simple sentences, which limits their applications. In this paper, we develop a text-to-animation system which is capable of handling complex sentences. We achieve this by introducing a text simplification step into the process. Building on an existing animation generation system for screenwriting, we create a robust NLP pipeline to extract information from screenplays and map them to the system’s knowledge base. We develop a set of linguistic transformation rules that simplify complex sentences. Information extracted from the simplified sentences is used to generate a rough storyboard and video depicting the text. Results show that our system performs reasonably well in terms of both efficiency and robustness.
- Archival status: Archival
- Subject areas: Natural Language Processing, Applications: Other