- Keywords: ischemic stroke, thrombus, segmentation, CT, U-Net
- TL;DR: We have developed a thrombus segmentation method for ischemic stroke patients which fascilitates the extraction of thrombus imaging characteristics and can therefore potentially assist radiologists in making treatment decesions.
- Abstract: Thrombus imaging characteristics are associated with treatment success and functional outcomes in stroke patients. However, assessing these characteristics based on manual annotations is labor intensive and subject to observer bias. Therefore, we aimed to create an automated pipeline for consistent and fast full thrombus segmentation. We first found the occlusion location using StrokeViewer LVO and created a bounding box around it. We trained dual modality U-Net based convolutional neural networks (CNNs) to subsequently segment the thrombus inside this bounding box. Segmentation results have high spatial accuracy with manual delineations and can therefore be used to determine thrombus characteristics and potentially benefit decision making in clinical practice.
- Registration: I acknowledge that acceptance of this work at MIDL requires at least one of the authors to register and present the work during the conference.
- Authorship: I confirm that I am the author of this work and that it has not been submitted to another publication before.
- Paper Type: recently published or submitted journal contributions
- Primary Subject Area: Segmentation
- Secondary Subject Area: Application: Radiology
- Confidentiality And Author Instructions: I read the call for papers and author instructions. I acknowledge that exceeding the page limit and/or altering the latex template can result in desk rejection.