- Keywords: Convolution Neural Networks, Anchor free, Attention, Polyp detection, Pathology prediction
- TL;DR: Multi-branch CNN with novel attention mechanism for polyp detection and pathology prediction.
- Abstract: Colorectal polyps are abnormal tissues growing on the intima of the colon or rectum with a high risk of developing into colorectal cancer, the third leading cause of cancer death world- wide. The most common types of colorectal polyps include inflammatory, hyperplastic, and adenomatous polyps. Adenomatous polyps are the most dangerous type of polyp with the potential to become cancerous. Therefore, the prevention of colorectal cancer heavily de- pends on the identification and removal of adenomatous polyps. In this paper, we propose a novel framework to assist physicians to localize, identify, and remove adenomatous polyps in colonoscopy. The framework consists of an anchor-free polyp detection branch for de- tecting and localizing polyps and a classification branch for global feature extraction and pathology prediction. Furthermore, we propose a foreground attention module to generate local features from the foreground subnet in the detection branch, which are combined with the global feature in the classification branch to enhance the pathology prediction performance. We collect a dataset that contains 6,059 images with 6,827 object-level an- notations. This dataset is the first large-scale polyp pathology dataset with both object segmentation annotations and pathology labels. Experiment results show that our proposed framework outperforms traditional CNN-based classifiers on polyp pathology classification and anchor-based detectors on polyp detection and localization.
- Registration: I acknowledge that publication of this at MIDL and in the proceedings requires at least one of the authors to register and present the work during the conference.
- Authorship: I confirm that I am the author of this work and that it has not been submitted to another publication before.
- Paper Type: methodological development
- Primary Subject Area: Detection and Diagnosis
- Secondary Subject Area: Application: Endoscopy
- Confidentiality And Author Instructions: I read the call for papers and author instructions. I acknowledge that exceeding the page limit and/or altering the latex template can result in desk rejection.