- Keywords: disentanglement, spatiotemporal prediction, representation learning, dynamical systems, separation of variables
- Abstract: A recent line of work in the machine learning community addresses the problem of predicting high-dimensional spatiotemporal phenomena by leveraging specific tools from the differential equations theory. Following this direction, we propose in this article a novel and general paradigm for this task based on a resolution method for partial differential equations: the separation of variables. This inspiration allows us to introduce a dynamical interpretation of spatiotemporal disentanglement. It induces a principled model based on learning disentangled spatial and temporal representations of a phenomenon to accurately predict future observations. We experimentally demonstrate the performance and broad applicability of our method against prior state-of-the-art models on physical and synthetic video datasets.
- One-sentence Summary: We introduce a novel interpretation of spatiotemporal disentanglement, inducing a simple and performant disentangled prediction model.
- Code Of Ethics: I acknowledge that I and all co-authors of this work have read and commit to adhering to the ICLR Code of Ethics
- Supplementary Material: zip